Cooking with Collywobbles
Curried Burgers with Chutney Sauce
Burgers are a backyard passion, but—dare we admit it?—sometimes the passion wears a little thin. But once the patties are spiked with curry powder and topped with a creamy chutney sauce, the old spark is back and everyone's happy at the table.
Makes: 4 servings
Active Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 tablespoons low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon prepared mango chutney
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder, divided
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, (see Tip)
- 1/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns, toasted
- 1 cup stemmed watercress leaves
- To prepare sauce: Mix 2 tablespoons yogurt, mayonnaise, chutney and 1/2 teaspoon curry powder in a small bowl. Cover and chill.
- To prepare burgers: Preheat grill to medium-high or preheat broiler.
- Combine pork, turkey, breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup yogurt, 2 tablespoons curry powder, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Shape into four 3/4-inch-thick patties.
- Grill or broil the patties until no longer pink inside and an instant-read thermometer reads at least 160°F, about 5 minutes per side. Serve the burgers on buns, topped with the sauce and watercress.
TIPS & NOTES
- Tip: To make fresh breadcrumbs: Trim crusts from firm sandwich bread. Tear bread into pieces and process in a food processor until a coarse crumb forms. One slice of bread makes about 1/3 cup crumbs.
Per serving: 385 calories; 13 g fat (4 g sat, 4 g mono); 62 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein;6 g fiber; 660 mg sodium; 283 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Calcium (25% daily value), Iron (25% dv), Folate (24% dv), Selenium (24% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 1/2 lean meat